Position: Director, Whitaker Institute of the Diocese of Michigan
Reports to: The Bishop of the Diocese
Status: Full time
Summary of Position:
The Director of Whitaker Institute is a full-time position for the Episcopal Diocese of Michigan (EDOMI). This individual serves as the primary resource for all baptized ministers in formation for leadership – both lay and ordained. The Director will oversee all activities of Whitaker Institute which includes supervising the Program Assistant and working with the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Michigan to coordinate the Academy for Vocational Leadership. The Director will collaborate with the Bishop, the Ministry Developer, other members of diocesan staff, the Commission on Ministry, and the Whitaker Institute Advisory Council to implement the overall formation strategy.
Essential Duties and Areas of Responsibility:
• Serve as a part of the leadership team with the Bishop and other staff
• Coordinate and oversee Whitaker Institute programming, including the design and delivery methods. This includes overseeing key programs like:
o Required Safeguarding and anti-Racism training programs.
o Licensed lay ministry training for preachers, worship leaders, Eucharistic ministers and visitors
• Work with the Ministry Developer and Canon for Congregational Life in developing, revising and constantly improving our work in discernment, formation and sending forth people equipped to engage God’s mission
• Serve as a resource to all in a formation process, including individuals and those in formation for team ministry through efforts like
o Working with the Ministry Developer to facilitate a regular support and spiritual formation group for those in the ordination process who are attending local ecumenical seminaries.
o Working with the archdeacon(s) and the Academy to provide ongoing education and support for deacons and those in the diaconal ordination process
• Assist with and help coordinate an annual mission conference (Becoming the Household of God/Ministry Fair in May)
• Assist the Bishop and Canon for Congregational Life with annual leadership training for vestries
• Collaborate with the Commission on Ministry and the diocesan staff to ensure that baptized ministers and those in the process for holy orders are up to date with licensing requirements and expectations. This includes overseeing the continuing education requirements for lay and clergy members of the household.
• Collaborate with seminaries, colleges, church-wide offices, and other diocesan training programs
• Collaborate with the Whitaker Institute Advisory Council to support the work of WI through publicity, fundraising, and financial planning. This includes working with the program assistant in producing the Whitaker Monthly and overseeing and improving registration, payment and financial oversight processes.
• Serve on boards and committees as appointed by the Bishop
• Provide leadership for Fresh Start program
• Congregational visits for Whitaker promotion (Sunday Supply, if ordained)
• Visionary yet well-organized with an ability to handle detailed information
• Demonstrated ability to self-start
• Supervise staff – assistant and instructors – by offering direction, support, training, and feedback
• Collaborative work style, ability to build consensus and work effectively with a team
• Strong knowledge of Episcopal Church structure and language
• Leadership development experience
• Effective communication – interpersonal, written, verbal, social media
Experience and Education:
• Master’s degree in education, theology, or divinity (preferred)
• Ordained in the Episcopal Church or familiarity with Episcopal Church polity(preferred)
• 5+ years of formation experience, faith-based and/or non-profit (preferred)
• Technical proficiency with office systems and software
Benefits and Compensation:
• Benefits package includes pension contributions, medical and dental insurance, group life insurance as well as short and long term disability insurance. (Benefits to begin on date of hire).
• Business expenses reimbursed per EDOMI policy (including mileage and cell phone service).
Please contact Canon Jim Gettel, Canon for Congregational Life with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (313) 833-4424. Please forward resumes and an accompanying
cover letter immediately to Canon Gettel.