Safeguarding God’s Children is a training program in sexual abuse awareness for clergy, Sunday school teachers, nursery workers, vestry members, and others who work with minors in our churches. This training covers prevention, detection and reporting guidelines, and was created in response to General Convention Resolution B008.
Safeguarding God’s People is a diocesan requirement for anyone in a pastoral or one-on-one situation, such as Eucharistic Visitor or Pastoral Caregiver. This training includes guidelines for the prevention of misconduct in all pastoral relationships. It covers healthy boundaries; high risk situations; the abuse of power; accountability; ethical and theological concerns; and diocesan policies and procedures, to ensure safety in our congregations.
Each date will contain both workshops listed below. There will be a short break for lunch in between. If attending both, please bring your lunch with you. Plan to arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to the start time listed below. Registration for Saturday classes will be cut off after Wednesday.
- Safeguarding Children: 8:45 am – 12:00 pm Workshop fee: $30
- Safeguarding People: 12:45 – 4:00 pm Workshop fee: $30
Whitaker offers this training throughout the diocese every year. Congregations may also choose to set up special sessions for a flat fee. For information on how to set up a special session, click here.
Are you required to take either or both of the Safeguarding trainings?
- Clergy: All Clergy and Total Ministry Support Teams are required to complete both of these workshops and attend a workshop every 5 years to renew their knowledge. This includes all candidates and postulants.
- Lay leadership: Safeguarding Children must be taken every 5 years by all those who regularly work with children and youth. Safeguarding God’s People must be taken every 5 years by Eucharistic visitors and pastoral care providers.
- Safeguarding Online: Many people are eligible to take the online modules of Safeguarding. To get access to the online modules, contact Jennifer Michalak at email@example.com
- Special Sessions: Congregations may also choose to schedule special Safeguarding sessions for a flat rate.
Upcoming Safeguarding Training Dates:
September 9th Christ Church Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236 ***CANCELLED***
October 14th St. Andrews, 306 N. Division Street, Ann Arbor 48104
November 4th St. John’s Plymouth, 574 S. Sheldon Road Plymouth MI 48170
January 20th Cathedral Church of St. Paul, 4800 Woodward Ave., Detroit MI 48201
February 24th All Saints Brooklyn 151 N Main St, Brooklyn, MI 49230
March 10th Christ Church Cranbrook, 470 Church Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
To find out more, or if you have problems registering online, contact Knena Causey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Whitaker Institute implements these national prevention programs on behalf of the Diocese of Michigan.