Nomination for Appointments to Churchwide Interim Bodies
Would you like to serve on a churchwide Commission, Committee or Task Force? This is your chance! The House of Deputies is now accepting nominations for over 40 “interim bodies” to meet and prepare reports over the next three years for the 2021 General Convention.
The length of a term of appointment depends on the Interim Body, and whether or not an appointment is for a full term or a partially-filled term. Appointments to Standing Commissions are generally for six (6) years, and appointments to Joint Standing Committees and Task Forces are generally for three (3) years.
Nominate yourself or another person here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/InterimBodies2018
Appointments will be made by the Presiding Bishop and the President of the House of Deputies to the various Interim Bodies of General Convention. Membership is generally open to all members of The Episcopal Church, while membership on Joint Standing Committees is open only to bishops and deputies to the 79th General Convention.
Interim Bodies of General Convention most often work electronically through web conferencing, teleconferencing, and online sharing of documents; face-to-face meetings are infrequent. Access to and the ability to use a computer are essential prerequisites for consideration.
Forty-one interim bodies are seeking members. The bodies include:
- Standing Commission on Governance, Structure, Constitution and Canons
- Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music
- Standing Commission on World Mission
- Joint Standing Committee on Nominations
- Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance
- House of Deputies Committee on the State of the Church
- Advisory Group on Planting Churches [Resolution A005]
- Task Force to Study Environmental Racism [Resolution A011]
- Task Force on Creation of Care [Resolution A013]
- Task Force on Theological Education Networking [Resolution A022]
- Task Force on New Funding for Clergy Formation [Resolution A027]
- Task Force on Congregational Redevelopment [Resolution A032]
- Task Force on Safe Church Training [Resolution A048]
- Task Force on Theology of Social Justice Advocacy [Resolution A056]
- Task Force on Theology of Money [Resolution A061]
- Task Force on Liturgical & Prayer Book Revision [Resolution A068]
- Task Force to Develop Model Sexual Harassment Policies [Resolution A109]
- Task Force to Assist Office of Pastoral Development [Resolution A147]
- Task Force to Develop Substance Abuse Screening Process [Resolution A189]
- Task Force on Communion Across Difference [Resolution A227]
- Task Force on Formation & Ministry of the Baptized [Resolution C005]
- Task Force to Develop Church -Wide Family Leave Policies [Resolution C019]
- Task Force on Ministry to Individuals with Mental Illness [Resolution C034]
- Task Force to Study Sexism in The Episcopal Church [Resolution C060]
- Task Force on Women, Truth and Reconciliation [Resolution D016]
- Task Force to Develop Anti-Sexism Training [Resolution D023]
- Task Force on Clergy Formation & Continuing Education [Resolution D025]
- Task Force to Coordinate Ecumenical & Interreligious Work [Resolution D055]
- Task Force on Dialogue with South Sudanese Anglican Diaspora [Resolution D088]
- Task Force on Disability & Deaf Access [Resolution D097]
- Anglican-Roman Catholic Dialogue in the U.S.A.
- Lutheran Episcopal Coordinating Committee
- Moravian Episcopal Coordinating Committee
- Presbyterian Episcopal Coordinating Committee
- United Methodist Episcopal Committee
- COVENANT COMMITTEE – The Episcopal Church in Liberia
- COVENANT COMMITTEE – Iglesia Anglicana de la Region Central de America
- COVENANT COMMITTEE – Igreja Episcopal do Brasil
- COVENANT COMMITTEE – Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico
- COVENANT COMMITTEE – The Episcopal Church in the Philippines
Please see the referenced resolution or canon for information on the Interim Body’s mandate. The current Constitution and Canons and the resolutions of the 79th General Convention can be found in the Virtual Binder online at https://vbinder.net.
If you have further questions about nominations, please send them to the General Convention Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responses are due Monday, August 20, 2018.